I’m on a birding kick. I’ve hung feeders and nesting boxes in my backyard hoping to attract beautiful winged creatures that I can marvel at from my office window.I’ve been waiting for weeks and feeling impatient that flocks of birds haven’t descended. Waiting is hard!
When I look at all the beauty we’ve been provided in nature, I am reminded that good things come slow and with some effort. Seeds take time to germinate before they become beautiful flowers. Birds take weeks to build intricate and wind-defying nests. Vegetable gardens require water, nutrients and cultivation in order to bear a bountiful harvest. So it is with us.
Whether you’re a writer trying to get published, a social media strategist waiting for followers, or a parent wondering if your efforts make a difference; the seeds you plant take time to germinate. There are no shortcuts. But with perseverance and patience, your hard work will eventually pay off.
We want someone to know us, really know us—deeply. Not just as a mom but as a person. However, for those raised in alcoholic, addicted or dysfunctional homes, so many thick layers of protection enfold our wounds that staying cocooned seems a lot easier than the pain of exposure. What will people think if they knew from whence I came? But the truth is you are not your past. You are not your addicted or dysfunctional parent. They birthed you but they didn’t create you. You are beautiful you, created by a God who is in love with you—who has a marvelous plan for your life as a mother and a unique, multifaceted woman. Here’s what God says about you:
1. I am a child of promise – Rom 9:8; Gal 3:14
2. I am free from condemnation – Rom 8:1
3. I’ve been justified – made righteous – Rom 5:1
4. I have received the Spirit of God -1 Cor 2:12
5. I have been given the mind of Christ – 1 Cor 2:16
6. I am God’s workmanship – Eph 2:10
7. I’m chosen and appointed to bear fruit – Jn 15:16
8. I am a partaker of a heavenly calling – Heb 3:1
9. I am a child of light, not darkness – 1 Thess 5:5
10. I’ve been rescued from Satan’s domain – Col 1:13
11. I am a citizen of heaven – Phil 3:20
12. I have direct access to God – Eph 2:18
13. I am a fellow citizen in God’s kingdom – Eph 2:19
14. I am a saint – Eph 1:1; 1 Cor 1:2; Phil 1:1